Okay, so I make cake like a 4 year old would. I haven’t made a cake since I was practically 4 years old, because I like salty things more than sugary things. Don’t mind the salt and pepper shakers in my photo, I didn’t salt and pepper my cake! I just forgot to remove them in my photo shoot. This recipe can be used for muffins, or bread, but I decided to wing it and make a 2 layer cake with it. I thought, bananas + cream cheese + coconut = delicious. Chantilly frosting is what has the coconut in it. Let’s get started on my sloppy journey through cake-making.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 6 bananas
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup melted butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- Chantilly frosting for filling (recipe here)
- cream cheese frosting (recipe here)
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 2 9 inch cake pans.
2) Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
3) In another bowl, mix bananas, sugar, eggs and butter together with a potato masher.
Should have this consistency when mixed together.
4) Stir banana mixture into flour mixture.
Should have this consistency when mixed.
5) Pour batter equally into the 2 cake pans. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
6) Insert toothpick into middle to see if it comes out clean. Cool thoroughly.
7) Using a knife, gently loosen the sides of the cake, and put a sheet pan upside down on the top of the cake. Using both hands, flip both pans upside down.
Voila. Do the same with another sheet pan if you have an extra one, or move the first cake to another dish.
8) Keep the cake on the sheet pan if you’re going to make a mess with the frosting, and slide the entire 2 layered frosted cake into fancy dish with 2 spatulas after you are done decorating. I got ahead of myself and moved the first layer into a fancy dish that I had to clean off afterwords. Slather on Chantilly filling starting in the center and working towards the edges. Don’t get filling too close to the sides like I have. When the second layer squishes down, the filling oozes out and makes a mess.
Filling too close to edges.
9) With your hands, gently place the top layer cake, flat side down onto first layer.
10) Using a rubber spatula, slather cream cheese frosting all over cake. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, serve.