Crêpes are surprisingly easy to make. Think of them as thin pancakes, well, because they are. I needed another excuse to eat my cream cheese and strawberries in the fridge, and I had a couple of pears laying around too. So that’s when I decided to whip these up. Crêpes can hold a variety of fillings, for example, you can make breakfast crêpes with sausage, egg and cheese, or dessert crepes with fruit fillings, or plain crepes with sugar and cinnamon sprinkled on top. You can even mix cocoa powder into the batter and make chocolate flavored crêpes. The list goes on and on and on.
Basic Crêpes (makes 8 )
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- non stick pan
- liquid measuring cup
For sweet dessert crêpes, add these 2 ingredients
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
1. In mixing bowl, mix flour and eggs. Add milk and water intermittently stirring until well blended.
2. Add milk and water intermittently, stirring until well blended. Add salt and butter, blend until consistency of very thin pancake batter. It should look like this:
3. Lightly grease a small non-stick pan, heat on medium high. Use a liquid measuring cup to pour exactly 1/4 cup of batter onto pan. To cover surface with a thin layer of batter evenly, pour directly into middle of pan, then swish from the center out by tilting pan in circular motion. Do not pour batter in zig-zaggy lines to coat surface quickly. I did that the first time and it left gaps.
4. Crepes should cook for around 1-2 minutes, until golden brown. Use spatula to gently flip to other side. Change heat back and forth between medium high to medium, if pan starts getting too hot and crepes are turing dark brown or burning.
Strawberries and cream cheese filling (makes 8 )
- 10-15 strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 package of cream cheese (4 oz.)
- 4 Tbsp. sugar
- Mix 1 tbsp. sugar into strawberries, until glazed
- Mix 3 tbsp. sugar into cream cheese, lightly drizzle honey and sprinkle nutmeg
- Spread cream cheese down middle of crepe, then layer strawberries on top of that.
Carmelized Pear filling (makes 8 )
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 large pears, peeled and sliced
- 4 tsp. lemon juice
1. Melt butter in skillet on medium high heat. Add brown sugar, stir until melted (about a minute).
2. Add pears and lemon juice. Stir frequently until pears release liquid, and liquid becomes carmelized with brown sugar. Take skillet off heat, let cool a bit before putting into crepes.